Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Jitters

Okay, yesterday, I took the French placement test and let's just say I need to brush up on my parlez-vous francais! I would recognize words here and there, but embarassingly enough, I turned in the test about 40 minutes early (I was the first one to turn it in) and I left it more than half blank! Not good. But she said the elementary class is jsut that-elementary, so that will be okay, but now i have to drive an hour for one class every Thursday! Yuck! So, then I walk over to the DOT of campus (public safety and transportation) and wait in line over an hour to renew my park and ride pass. The ladies were very friendly though and that made it better.
So, by now it's nearly 6 and I am walking back to the Ramshead deck to leave. I walk past Morirson dorm and as I round the corner, the stadium in the distance, I see nothing but a sea full of 19-20 year olds covered in blue, gathering, talking and getting pumped up for whatever-I think a band was going to play. I felt sooooo out of place on that campus the ENTIRE time! I still have yet to see anyone even close to my age. Do they even have non-traditional students? I feel like a prune in a field of strawberries. Or, blueberries, I guess. I totally do not belong. If I make it through this trek, I will be more proud that I made it socially and emotionally, not academically.
I'm paralyzed at that place. Wake Tech had 5 buildings and no one lived there. This place is smaller than NCSU, but it still feels huge. I knew it would be a different animal, but the people are different. And that is what is most difficult. I see nothing but cell phones and hear the word "like" a whole lot:) I just want this first week to be over!

No comments: